Kazakhstan, possessing rich resources, positions itself as one of the key players in this field.
19 types of strategic raw materials:
- The country produces and processes 19 types of essential raw materials, as approved by the European Union.
- Exports reach the USA, China, South Korea, Great Britain, Russia, and EU countries.
- Presently, Kazakhstani manufacturers supply the European market with metal and chemical products such as beryllium, tantalum, titanium, ammonium metavanadate and phosphorus.
Leadership in copper production and potential in electric vehicles:
- Kazakhstan ranks amongst the top ten countries in the world for copper production.
- There’s a promising opportunity to establish a cluster focused on battery material production, such as nickel, cobalt, manganese, and lithium.
- These precursors will become a primary source of raw materials for the expanding production of electric vehicles.
- A core issue within the rare metals mining industry is a reliance on imported raw materials.
- Additionally, worn-out technologies and equipment in businesses hinder further development of the production of essential raw materials.
Comprehensive development plan:
- To tackle these challenges, a comprehensive plan for developing the rare earth metals sector (2024-2028) has been devised.
- The plan was approved by a Government Resolution on the 28th of December 2023.
- The Ministry of Industry is actively working to implement it.
The implementation of this plan will enable Kazakhstan to become one of the leaders in the production of raw materials for electric vehicles, ensuring sustainable economic development and strengthening its position in the global market.
- Press Service of the Ministry of Industry and Construction of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- Government Resolution of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated 28 December 2023 No. 1023